After DADT, Two Schools Welcome Military on Campus
BY Michelle Garcia
August 15 2011 3:30 PM ET
Two independently run law schools are lifting their bans on military recruiters now that "don't ask, don't tell" is about to become history.
Vermont Law School in South Royalton, Vt., and the William Mitchell College of Law in St. Paul, Minn., are both rescinding their policies, which were put in place because of the military's ban on openly gay and lesbian service members, the Associated Press reports. Vermont Law School's policies prevented it from being eligible for an estimated $500,000 annually federal grants. According to a New York Times report from March, William Mitchell did not compete for those grants in the past, so it did not lose money.
Other colleges, including many of the Ivy League institutions, are also examining whether to permit military recruiting and ROTC programs on campus now that repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" has been certified by President Barack Obama, Defense secretary Leon Panetta, and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 3 min 42 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 58 min 53 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 15 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 38 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM