That Didn't Take Long; Rick Welts Finds a Job
BY Lucas Grindley
September 27 2011 1:54 PM ET
The NBA hasn't lost its highest-ranking openly gay executive after all.
Rick Welts left his job as president and CEO of the Phoenix Suns earlier this month to be closer to his partner in Sacramento, where he's already landed a new job.
Welts will become president and chief operating officer for the Golden State Warriors, which coincidentally had an opening. The Arizona Republic reports that the Suns' leadership helped lobby for Welts getting hired.
"I had been looking forward to doing different things but the opportunity with this team and this market worked so well for me geographically," Welts told the Republic. "I was not able to pass that up."
Welts had told The Advocate that job offers were pouring in after he came out in a front-page interview with The New York Times in May. And he'd mentioned the possibility of writing a book after leaving the Suns to be closer to his partner and his two children.
Welts is actually the highest-ranking executive in all of men's team sports to acknowledge publicly that he's gay.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 1 hour 32 min ago
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 1 hour 35 min ago
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM