House Republicans Triple DOMA Defense Budget
October 04 2011 8:24 PM ET
The House Republican leadership’s bill for its legal defense of DOMA is on the rise.
In a modified contract approved Friday, the GOP-led House Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group (BLAG) agreed to pay Washington, D.C.-based firm Bancroft PLLC up to $1.5 million for ongoing Defense of Marriage Act litigation.
The $1.5 million cap is triple the amount specified in the original April contract — the veracity of which Democratic leaders had questioned, given the volume of DOMA litigation nationwide.
On Tuesday, a spokesman for House Democratic minority leader Nancy Pelosi called the new cap “absolutely unconscionable.”
"At a time when Americans are hurting and job creation should be the top priority, it just shows how out of touch House Republicans have become that they would spend up to $1.5 million dollars to defend discrimination in our country,” Pelosi deputy press secretary Drew Hammill said.
The modified contract was signed by House general counsel Kerry W. Kirchner and Paul Clement, lead outside counsel for the litigation and a partner at Bancroft. The former George W. Bush solicitor general was tapped in April to represent the Republican-led BLAG while he was a partner at King & Spalding, though Clement left the Atlanta-based firm after it dropped its contract with the House of Representatives (firm chairman Robert Hays Jr. said the vetting process for the litigation had been “inadequate").
A PDF of the new contract is available here.
- Florist Counter-Sues Washington, Arguing She Has a Right to Discriminate
- UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler
- Rising Above the Down Low
- WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News
- Protests Continue But Opponents in France Get Final Loss
- S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM