House Republicans Triple DOMA Defense Budget
October 04 2011 8:24 PM ET
The House Republican leadership’s bill for its legal defense of DOMA is on the rise.
In a modified contract approved Friday, the GOP-led House Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group (BLAG) agreed to pay Washington, D.C.-based firm Bancroft PLLC up to $1.5 million for ongoing Defense of Marriage Act litigation.
The $1.5 million cap is triple the amount specified in the original April contract — the veracity of which Democratic leaders had questioned, given the volume of DOMA litigation nationwide.
On Tuesday, a spokesman for House Democratic minority leader Nancy Pelosi called the new cap “absolutely unconscionable.”
"At a time when Americans are hurting and job creation should be the top priority, it just shows how out of touch House Republicans have become that they would spend up to $1.5 million dollars to defend discrimination in our country,” Pelosi deputy press secretary Drew Hammill said.
The modified contract was signed by House general counsel Kerry W. Kirchner and Paul Clement, lead outside counsel for the litigation and a partner at Bancroft. The former George W. Bush solicitor general was tapped in April to represent the Republican-led BLAG while he was a partner at King & Spalding, though Clement left the Atlanta-based firm after it dropped its contract with the House of Representatives (firm chairman Robert Hays Jr. said the vetting process for the litigation had been “inadequate").
A PDF of the new contract is available here.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM