Ablow Named Misinformer of the Year on LGBT Issues
BY Trudy Ring
December 20 2011 6:25 PM ET
For saying a young boy would be psychologically damaged by toenail-painting, that Chaz Bono has a “psychotic delusion,” that being transgender is like thinking you’re a zebra, and more, commentator Keith Ablow has won the title Misinformer of the Year on LGBT Issues from Media Matters.
“Ablow brought a toxic mix of homophobia and pseudoscientific anti-LGBT talking points to new lows” this year, the liberal media watchdog group says of the psychiatrist and member of the so-called Medical A-Team on Fox News. Among them:
• His comments on a J. Crew ad that showed executive Jenna Lyons’s toddler son with his toenails painted pink: “It may be fun and games now, Jenna, but at least put some money aside for psychotherapy for the kid — and maybe a little for others who’ll be affected by your ‘innocent’ pleasure.” Later, when news broke that Lyons was divorcing her husband and was romantically involved with a woman, he said it confirmed his theory that she was “expressing her own discomfort with masculinity and projecting it onto her son.”
• His criticism of transgender man Chaz Bono: “I was taught to consider Chaz Bono’s contention that she is male as a psychotic delusion — a fixed and false belief. ... There is nothing substantially different from a woman believing she is a man than there is about a woman believing she is a CIA agent being followed by the KGB (when in reality, she is, say, a salesperson at J. Crew).” When Bono was cast on Dancing With the Stars, Ablow urged parents not to let their children watch the show, saying it may encourage “vulnerable children” to adopt a different gender identity.
• More antitransgender comments: “Here’s an analogy: If a person came to me tattooed as a zebra — Zebraman ... go on TV, but if you want me to agree with you that you’re a zebra, well, now you’re invading my reality.”
For the full Media Matters list, including Ablow’s likening of transgender people to heroin addicts and statement that pedophilia is a sexual orientation just as homosexuality is, click here.
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Tim Cook on Standing Up to Discrimination: 'It’s Time for All of Us'
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word