Ablow Named Misinformer of the Year on LGBT Issues
BY Trudy Ring
December 20 2011 6:25 PM ET
For saying a young boy would be psychologically damaged by toenail-painting, that Chaz Bono has a “psychotic delusion,” that being transgender is like thinking you’re a zebra, and more, commentator Keith Ablow has won the title Misinformer of the Year on LGBT Issues from Media Matters.
“Ablow brought a toxic mix of homophobia and pseudoscientific anti-LGBT talking points to new lows” this year, the liberal media watchdog group says of the psychiatrist and member of the so-called Medical A-Team on Fox News. Among them:
• His comments on a J. Crew ad that showed executive Jenna Lyons’s toddler son with his toenails painted pink: “It may be fun and games now, Jenna, but at least put some money aside for psychotherapy for the kid — and maybe a little for others who’ll be affected by your ‘innocent’ pleasure.” Later, when news broke that Lyons was divorcing her husband and was romantically involved with a woman, he said it confirmed his theory that she was “expressing her own discomfort with masculinity and projecting it onto her son.”
• His criticism of transgender man Chaz Bono: “I was taught to consider Chaz Bono’s contention that she is male as a psychotic delusion — a fixed and false belief. ... There is nothing substantially different from a woman believing she is a man than there is about a woman believing she is a CIA agent being followed by the KGB (when in reality, she is, say, a salesperson at J. Crew).” When Bono was cast on Dancing With the Stars, Ablow urged parents not to let their children watch the show, saying it may encourage “vulnerable children” to adopt a different gender identity.
• More antitransgender comments: “Here’s an analogy: If a person came to me tattooed as a zebra — Zebraman ... go on TV, but if you want me to agree with you that you’re a zebra, well, now you’re invading my reality.”
For the full Media Matters list, including Ablow’s likening of transgender people to heroin addicts and statement that pedophilia is a sexual orientation just as homosexuality is, click here.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- Pam Spaulding Announces Closure of LGBT Blog Pam's House Blend
- No Marriage Rulings From Supremes Today
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- PHOTOS: Baltimore's First Pride With Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM