Chris Gregoire Talks Marriage Equality, Chris Christie
BY Winston Gieseke
February 11 2012 12:40 PM ET
Washington governor Christine Gregoire, who is expected to sign marriage equality legislation Monday, says she has a good working relationship with New Jersey governor Chris Christie and would “feel very comfortable” calling him to discuss her personal journey on the issue.
Think Progress reports that during a recent radio interview with Michael Castner, Gov. Gregoire spoke of the support she had received since taking a vocal stance in favor of equal marriage rights.
“One that sticks in my mind,” she told Castner, “is a 16-year-old who had finally disclosed to her parents that she was lesbian and they had accepted her but she still contemplated suicide. And then to have me come out — a person in a position like I’m in — to say that she’s okay and that she’s to be respected for who she is, meant the world to her.”
When asked if she would consider sharing her views on the subject with Gov. Christie — who has vowed to veto his own state’s marriage equality bill — she said yes. “I feel a good working relationship with Governor Christie,” Gregoire answered. “I respect him as a fellow governor. I have worked with him on a number of issues. So yeah, I would feel very comfortable sharing with him my personal journey and then sharing with him the overwhelming response that I’ve received.”
Listen to the interview below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM