Kirk Cameron: GLAAD's Campaign Against His Antigay Remarks
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 03 2012 4:50 PM ET
As a response to antigay remarks made by former teen idol Kirk Cameron during a talk show appearance last night, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation has launched an online action for people to show their disapproval.
During an interview with CNN's Piers Morgan last night, the former Growing Pains star-turned evangelist said he views homosexuality as being "unnatural... detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization." Cameron spoke out against same-sex marriage, saying, "Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve. One man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage. And I don't think anyone else should either."
Herndon Graddick of the media watchdog group immediately issued a statement, saying “With an increasing number of states recognizing marriage equality, Americans are seeing that marriage is about committed couples who want to make a lifelong promise to take care of and be responsible for each other and that gay and lesbian couples need equal security and legal protections. That’s not ‘redefining’ anything.”
A page titled Where Are They Now is now on GLAAD's website and encourages readers to make their disagreement with Cameron's comments known. The page includes link to a petition to sign, notifying Cameron that he is no longer your idol and it's time for him to grow up.
GLAAD also lists actors who once costarred with Cameron on Growing Pains, but who support LGBT equality, including Brad Pitt, Leonardo Dicaprio, Hillary Swank, and Joanna Kerns. The site also includes information from a Field Poll released last Wednesday that reveals 59% of California voters now approve of same-sex marriage.
Watch Cameron's interview here.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
- PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 2 hours 42 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM