Language Finalized for Washington Marriage Referendum
BY Julie Bolcer
March 15 2012 9:10 AM ET
A Washington judge finalized language for the proposed referendum to repeal the new marriage equality law after ruling that the phrase “redefine marriage” cannot be included.
The Associated Press reports on the ruling Tuesday from Thurston County Superior Court Judge Thomas McPhee after both sides had challenged the proposed language for Referendum 74. Marriage equality advocates had opposed as a “loaded term” the original wording from Republican Attorney General Rob McKenna, which said the new law "would redefine marriage to allow same-sex couples to marry."
The decision cleared the way for Preserve Marriage Washington, a coalition working with the National Organization for Marriage to overturn the law, to start gathering signatures Wednesday to put the referendum on the ballot. The marriage equality law signed by Governor Christine Gregoire last month takes effect June 7, but it will be put on holding pending the outcome of a November referendum if opponents collect 120,577 valid signatures by June 6.
Opponents of same-sex marriage show a high success rate at the ballot in over 30 states since 1998, but advocates in Washington, who have been preparing for the referendum, have strong reason to believe they can break the streak. In 2009, voters approved Referendum 71 to uphold the expanded domestic partnership law, making Washington the first state to affirm LGBT relationship recognition on the ballot.
Read the ballot language at the Washington Secretary of State’s page.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 44 min 38 sec ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 53 min 32 sec ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 1 hour 36 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 2 hours 37 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 2 hours 41 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Business 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index 3:49 PM