Kravitz Based Hunger Games Character on Bi Friend
BY Neal Broverman
March 16 2012 5:30 PM ET
Lenny Kravitz tells Movieline that he based Cinna, his Hunger Games character, on a bisexual friend.
Cinna is a stylist to the film's lead character Katniss, who stars in a game of televised murder in a distopian future. In the book upon which the film is based, Cinna is slightly effeminate and his sexuality is ambiguous. Kravitz tells Movieline he's not sure what Cinna's orientation is, but regardless, he did not want the character to be stereotypical.
"I played [Cinna] right in the middle, and one of the inspirations is a friend of mine, actually, who I grew up with," Kravitz told the magazine. "He’s bisexual and you could think he’s gay, you could think he’s straight, you’re not really sure. It’s very subtle. You wouldn’t know it, but Cinna’s speech patterns and the way he enunciates was kind of based on this person that’s just a friend of mine, who I thought was a good example."
Read Kravitz's full interview here.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 17 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 59 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 37 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM