Kravitz Based Hunger Games Character on Bi Friend
BY Neal Broverman
March 16 2012 6:30 PM ET
Lenny Kravitz tells Movieline that he based Cinna, his Hunger Games character, on a bisexual friend.
Cinna is a stylist to the film's lead character Katniss, who stars in a game of televised murder in a distopian future. In the book upon which the film is based, Cinna is slightly effeminate and his sexuality is ambiguous. Kravitz tells Movieline he's not sure what Cinna's orientation is, but regardless, he did not want the character to be stereotypical.
"I played [Cinna] right in the middle, and one of the inspirations is a friend of mine, actually, who I grew up with," Kravitz told the magazine. "He’s bisexual and you could think he’s gay, you could think he’s straight, you’re not really sure. It’s very subtle. You wouldn’t know it, but Cinna’s speech patterns and the way he enunciates was kind of based on this person that’s just a friend of mine, who I thought was a good example."
Read Kravitz's full interview here.
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM