READ: Fiona Apple's Supportive Letter to Gay Fan
BY Neal Broverman
March 29 2012 1:40 PM ET
Acclaimed singer Fiona Apple is known to have a way with words, and that was evident in a recently released letter that she wrote to a gay fan who sought her help in 2000.
The fan asked Apple to provide some supportive words for his Gay-Straight Alliance. Apple happily complied, according to the letter that was released by Jezebel. Read it below:
I got your letter a few days ago, but this is the first chance I've had to sit down and write (it's my day off)
Of course, I'd love to help - sign me up. As far as a few sentences go, here's what I've got - I hope it's OK:
It's hard to conjure up some new profound way of commenting on this issue - I'm so tired of it being an issue at all, and I suppose I'm lucky, because I see the truth so clearly. All I know I want my friends to be good people, and when my friends fall in love, I want them to fall in love with other good people. How can you go wrong with two people in love? If a good boy loves a good girl, good. If a good boy loves another good boy, good. And if a good girl loves the goodness in good boys and good girls, then all you have is more goodness, and goodness has nothing to do with sexual orientation. A person who loves is a righteous person, and if someone has the ability and desire to show love another - to someone willing to receive it, then for goodness' sake, let them do it. Hate has no place in the equation; there is no function for it to perform. Love is love, and there will never be too much.
- Commentary Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto 25 min 37 sec ago
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 2 hours 41 min ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM