Newsmakers of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 29 2010 10:45 AM ET
Ted Olson and David Boies
Two ultra-famous attorneys who argued opposing sides of Bush v. Gore a decade ago undeniably helped to mainstream the marriage equality movement this year. In January, the duo put the issue on trial in San Francisco before U.S. district judge Vaughn R. Walker, who eight months later declared in a sweeping opinion that California has no interest in discriminating against gay and lesbian couples who wish to marry — couples including the plaintiffs in the case, Kristin Perry and Sandy Stier; and Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo. Proposition 8, the antigay state ballot measure that passed in 2008, violated fundamental rights, Walker found. The case is now before a three-judge panel of the ninth circuit court of appeals.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model