Newsmakers of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 29 2010 11:45 AM ET
Ted Olson and David Boies
Two ultra-famous attorneys who argued opposing sides of Bush v. Gore a decade ago undeniably helped to mainstream the marriage equality movement this year. In January, the duo put the issue on trial in San Francisco before U.S. district judge Vaughn R. Walker, who eight months later declared in a sweeping opinion that California has no interest in discriminating against gay and lesbian couples who wish to marry — couples including the plaintiffs in the case, Kristin Perry and Sandy Stier; and Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo. Proposition 8, the antigay state ballot measure that passed in 2008, violated fundamental rights, Walker found. The case is now before a three-judge panel of the ninth circuit court of appeals.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'