Moscow Police Break Up Gay Protests, Detain 40
BY Trudy Ring
May 27 2012 1:31 PM ET
Police in Moscow detained about 40 people Sunday as a result of two pro-gay demonstrations, both met with Orthodox Christian counterprotests.
Gay activists assembled outside the city council building for a demonstration demanding the right to hold a pride parade, and some fights broke out between them and the counterprotesters, the Associated Press reports. After police ordered the crowds to disperse, the gay group tried to hold a second protest at City Hall. Police broke it up and pushed about 40 people into police buses. Most were gay activists, including the well-known advocate Nikolai Alexeyev, but some were from the Christian group.
Moscow authorities have repeatedly denied permission for gay pride parades. Former mayor Yuri Luzhkov called such events “satanic,” and current mayor Sergei Sobyanin has objected to them on the grounds that they would offend many Russians’ religious beliefs.
Alexeyev recently became the first person convicted under St. Petersburg’s new law against “gay propaganda” after he demonstrated at City Hall with a sign reading “Homosexuality is not a perversion.” The law essentially bans any public discussion of homosexuality, including pride parades, and the Russian parliament is considering a similar law that would cover the whole nation.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 min 3 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 55 min 22 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 36 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 59 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM