U.K.: Law Proposed to Accommodate a Gay King or Queen
BY Michelle Garcia
January 22 2013 2:51 PM ET
As Prince William and Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, endure the final throes of pregnancy, Parliament is working on legislation to ensure that their firstborn child will be able to rule, no matter their sexual orientation.
Parliament will soon pass legislation to allow the royal couple's child to rule the United Kingdom whether the child is male or female. Labor MP Paul Flynn has an amendment to support an openly gay king or queen.
The law would determine the heir of the gay king or queen and their spouse or civil partner, as long as they were born through artificial insemination or surrogacy, according to Pink News. An adopted child would not legally be able to inherit the throne, nor would he or she join the line of succession, under current law, and it is not clear that Flynn's amendment would seek to change that. Furthermore, the king or queen's same-sex partner would be recognized as king consort or queen consort.
House of Commons speaker John Bercow is expected to accept the amendment, bringing it into debate.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 38 min 54 sec ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM