WATCH: Jamaican Gay Man Murdered, House Burned
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 06 2013 2:00 PM ET UPDATED: September 09 2013 1:51 PM ET
A gay businessman in Montego Bay, Jamaica, was found murdered inside his home on August 28, according to a local news report published on YouTube by online activist group Jamaican LGBT News.
Dean Moriah, 41, was an entertainment coordinator at Bogue Village in Montego Bay and was widely known to be gay, according to Jamaican LGBT News. On August 28, Moriah was found stabbed to death near his house, which was set on fire, and his car was stolen.
When posting the local news clip below, Jamaican LGBT News notes that the anchor dances around the issue of Moriah's sexuality, alluding to the fact that he was gay without ever saying it outright.
An investigation of the attack is currently under way, and if it was motivated by Moriah's sexual orientaion, marks at least the fourth incident of reported anti-LGBT violence in Jamaica in recent weeks. In early August, a gender-nonconforming teenager was murdered by an angry mob when the 17-year-old attended a party in St. James wearing women's clothing. Late last month, two men had to flee the scene of an auto accident after bystanders accused them of being gay, just days after five gay men were forced to barricade themselves inside a home after an angry antigay mob began stalking them.
Watch the local news report posted to YouTube below.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM