Gay Tourists Abandon The Strip?
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 21 2009 12:00 AM ET
The Nevada legislature already passed the domestic-partnership bill, which would give committed unmarried couples -- both gay and straight -- the same rights and responsibilities as heterosexual married couples. The bill specifies that domestic partnerships, or civil unions, are not the same as marriages as defined in the Nevada constitution.
But Gibbons has vowed to veto the bill, with his communications director saying the governor believes the bill is not necessary because any couple already can secure rights pertaining to wills, inheritance, and hospital decisions by executing private contracts. Jones says this is a basically a lie; gay couples would have to personally execute dozens of contracts, at their own expense, to accomplish what this bill automatically would.
"This should be a very simple vote," Jones said. "It's the right thing to do. It allows people to preserve their rights and their family's rights."
MGM Mirage's senior vice president of public affairs Alan Feldman said Jones' letter is "completely consistent with what Harrah's and what Jan would do." MGM Mirage, which has also offered domestic-partner benefits to all of its employees for many years, is preparing for a potential veto by the governor, but Feldman said he hopes that eventually "cooler heads will prevail."
"It is a challenge," he said. "We make a very real, concerted effort on a lot of these issues, and to have the sense that you're fighting against your own state is very frustrating."
Jones says if the governor does vote the bill it could have a longterm impact.
"I don't think the governor is thinking at all... I think there's going to be longterm ramifications for many of the governor's decisions."
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something
- HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 22 min 34 sec ago
- Politics Big Repub Donors Fund Push for ENDA 1 hour 4 min ago
- Love and Sex Ready and Looking: The Dilemma of a 20-Something 1 hour 5 min ago
- Media WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview 1 hour 26 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games 1 hour 29 min ago
- Politics Meet the 21-Year-Old Gay Republican Running for Idaho Legislature 1 hour 56 min ago
- Women WATCH: Who Wants to See More of The Fosters' Teri Polo in Her Cop Uniform? 1 hour 58 min ago