Gay Tourists Abandon The Strip?
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 21 2009 12:00 AM ET
The Nevada legislature already passed the domestic-partnership bill, which would give committed unmarried couples -- both gay and straight -- the same rights and responsibilities as heterosexual married couples. The bill specifies that domestic partnerships, or civil unions, are not the same as marriages as defined in the Nevada constitution.
But Gibbons has vowed to veto the bill, with his communications director saying the governor believes the bill is not necessary because any couple already can secure rights pertaining to wills, inheritance, and hospital decisions by executing private contracts. Jones says this is a basically a lie; gay couples would have to personally execute dozens of contracts, at their own expense, to accomplish what this bill automatically would.
"This should be a very simple vote," Jones said. "It's the right thing to do. It allows people to preserve their rights and their family's rights."
MGM Mirage's senior vice president of public affairs Alan Feldman said Jones' letter is "completely consistent with what Harrah's and what Jan would do." MGM Mirage, which has also offered domestic-partner benefits to all of its employees for many years, is preparing for a potential veto by the governor, but Feldman said he hopes that eventually "cooler heads will prevail."
"It is a challenge," he said. "We make a very real, concerted effort on a lot of these issues, and to have the sense that you're fighting against your own state is very frustrating."
Jones says if the governor does vote the bill it could have a longterm impact.
"I don't think the governor is thinking at all... I think there's going to be longterm ramifications for many of the governor's decisions."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 28 min 41 sec ago
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM