Legal Experts Concerned by Fed Prop. 8 Case
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 26 2009 11:00 PM ET
But referring to a 1967 Supreme Court decision that struck down state laws barring interracial marriage, Boies said the high court's record on civil rights cases over the past few decades "makes it crystal clear that marriage is a fundamental right guaranteed by the federal government.
"Reasonable minds can differ when a constitutional challenge should be made," Boies said. "But when people are being denied constitutional rights today, I think it is impossible as a lawyer and an American to say, 'No, you have to wait.'"
Olson and Boies argue that relegating California same-sex couples to domestic partnerships instead of full marriage rights is a violation of equal protection and due process clauses under Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
In its ruling on the constitutionality of Prop. 8, Boies said, the California supreme court "went far to point out that this decision was about the California constitution. It did not suggest that those who want to seek rights at the federal level [have no basis]."
Olson's involvement in the case drew immediate scrutiny from reporters, who questioned his conservative Republican background and affiliation with organizations like the Federalist Society.
"I don't think I've ever been a part of any organization that's antigay or believes gays are not entitled to equal rights," Olson said in response. "The Federalist Society doesn't have any creed at all. It brings together people who want to debate important issues having to do with the law."
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 2 hours 40 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 2 hours 41 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM