It's All Our Fault! 10 Disasters the Gays Supposedly Caused
BY Michelle Garcia
October 31 2012 7:00 AM ET
When a major disaster happens, does every out-of-left-field crazy fringe preacher race to become the first to blame LGBT people?
This time, the "winner" was chaplain John McTernan (pictured above), the founder of Defend and Proclaim the Faith ministries. Hurricane Sandy has caused dozens of deaths and billions of dollars in damage, but McTernan used the then-pending hurricane to remind followers that the massive storm is just another bit of evidence that America is going to pot.
"God is systematically destroying America," McTernan wrote in a blog post on his website this week. "Just look at what has happened this year."
Then of course there was the ever-consistent folks at the Westboro Baptist Church, who praised God for the storm. Shirley Phelps-Roper, the daughter of the church's founder and leader Fred Phelps, tweeted Tuesday morning, "We bow in humble thanks 2 God 4 Sandy! Thank God for a plain message delivered to a puddle of states that proudly flip Him off! #FagMarriage"
As we know, blaming death, destruction, and mayhem on LGBT people simply isn't new. By now, we're used to it. But you still might be surprised just how often it happens.
On the following pages, see just a few examples of major disasters that sent blame-fingers pointed gayward.
- Op-ed: HIV Is No Longer A Death Sentence But It Still Isn't Easy
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Reports: Dallas Cowboys Eye Michael Sam for Practice Squad
- WATCH: Which State's Marriage Equality Proposal Will Make SCOTUS Say 'I Do?'