'Ex-Gay' Therapy Group Loses Tax-Exempt Status
BY Trudy Ring
March 13 2013 4:56 PM ET
One of the nation’s leading “gay cure” groups, the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality, has lost its tax-exempt status due to failure to file proper documentation for the past three years, the Internal Revenue Service announced this week.
It’s a further blow to the largely discredited organization, which purports to assist “those who struggle with unwanted homosexuality,” as its online mission statement says. Cofounder Joseph Nicolosi has claimed gay people wish to normalize pedophilia and spread HIV, and he has been accused of distorting the research of others to support NARTH’s theories. In 2010 the group was the subject of scandal after one of its leaders, psychologist George Rekers, was found to be traveling with a paid male escort. Major medical organizations have recognized NARTH’s brand of therapy, aimed at converting gay people to straight, as both ineffective and abusive, and California last year became the first state to bar licensed practitioners from performing such therapy on minors.
“NARTH’s work throughout the years has amounted to child abuse in every sense of the word,” Human Rights Campaign president Chad Griffin said in a press release. “Sadly, some therapists have looked to this discredited organization for guidance on treating their most vulnerable patients and this has had drastic results. The IRS is just the latest organization to take a death blow at NARTH.”
“I can say firsthand these types of practices are dangerous and discredited,” added Ryan Kendall, a former NARTH patient. “As a survivor, I look forward to the day when they no longer exist. The revocation of NARTH’s tax exempt status demonstrates that we are ever closer to that day.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 4 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 3 min 49 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 25 min 42 sec ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 29 min 5 sec ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 54 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 49 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM