WATCH:Philly Mayor Signs Expansive LGBT Rights Law
BY Trudy Ring
May 10 2013 3:00 AM ET
Philadelphia mayor Michael Nutter Thursday signed into law a bill expanding the city’s antidiscrimination ordinance to include gender identity and enhancing LGBT protections in several other ways.
The measure, which the City Council passed last month, makes Philadelphia the first city in the U.S. to offer tax credits to companies that have domestic-partner benefits, and also provides incentives for employers to cover transgender-related health care, the Associated Press reports.
“My goal is for Philadelphia to be one of, if not the most, LGBT-friendly cities in the world and a leader on equality issues,” said Nutter, also giving a shout-out to a mentor and friend, the late John Anderson, a gay man who served on the City Council.
The law also requires newly constructed city-owned buildings to have gender-neutral restrooms and “extends decision-making rights to life partners on medical and other issues, and changes city forms and websites to offer options for same-sex couples and transgender people,” the AP notes.
Watch video of the signing below, from Philadelphia's CBS affiliate.
- BREAKING: New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 9 min 4 sec ago
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 13 min 20 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 17 min 58 sec ago
- Religion Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage 49 min 50 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Who's in the Mood for a Jennifer Lawrence / Butt Plug story? 55 min 32 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Out Sochi Olympics Delegate Caitlin Cahow On Going to Russia 1 hour 32 min ago
- Politics White House Downplays Political Significance of LGBT Olympic Delegates 1 hour 40 min ago