Meet Two Families Fighting For Adoption Rights in North Carolina
BY Jase Peeples
July 09 2013 12:35 PM ET
The American Civil Liberties Union is currently helping six pairs of lesbian and gay parents fight for second-parent adoption rights for same-sex families in North Carolina.
As the ACLU points out on its website, children denied a legally recognized second parent are left vulnerable. Children can be removed from their home if the legally recognized parent dies, hospital staff may prevent their non-legal parent from consenting to needed care, and children may be ineligible to receive health insurance benefits that could be provided by their non-legal parent.
In addition to fighting this battle on the legal front, the ACLU launched a video campaign showcasing the moving stories of two of these families, bringing awareness to the challenges they face.
Meet Crystal and Leigh and Shana and Megan below, and find out how you can help secure adoption rights for LGBT families at www.aclu.org.
Crystal and Leigh
Shana and Megan
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM