Russian Pol Calls Actor Stephen Fry a 'Bringer of Evil'
BY Daniel Reynolds
September 27 2013 5:12 PM ET
A Russian politician is verbally lashing out at actor Stephen Fry for his LGBT activism.
Vitaly Milonov, a member of the local parliament in the city of St. Petersburg, told news service Agence France-Press in a recently interview that he believes the V for Vendetta star, who has led a prominent campaign against Russia’s “gay propaganda” laws, to be a “bringer of evil.”
“For me Stephen Fry is a bringer of evil, as he expresses ideas which are evil,” said Milonov, who recently made several outrageous statements to a French journalist, among them that gay people rape children, that reports of violence against LGBT people in Russia are fabricated, and that straight people are frequently victims of hate crimes committed by gays. Milonov crafted St. Petersburg's law against “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations,” on which the national law, passed this summer, was based.
This is the latest remark from Milonov in a heated exchange between the two public figures, which began when they met in St. Petersburg in March.
Fry has been a prominent and passionate voice against Russia’s antigay legislation, including the national “gay propaganda” measure signed into law by President Vladimir Putin. The 56-year-old actor, who once portrayed gay scribe Oscar Wilde in the film Wilde, made headlines when he equated Adolph Hitler's systematic execution of more than 6 million Jewish people to Putin's escalating crusade against LGBT people.
The actor, who appeared in the Harry Potter film series, also once compared Putin’s appearance to that of the character Dobby, a diminutive elf in the stories.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 2 hours 55 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM