David Cameron Includes LGBT Equality in Tory Conference Speech
BY Nicholas Cimarusti
October 02 2013 6:30 PM ET
British Prime Minister David Cameron included the acceptance of the LGBT community as one of Britain's greatest strengths in his speech at the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester on Wednesday.
Cameron's forceful speech was partly in response to a snide remark about Britain made by Russian President Vladimir Putin's chief spokesman Dmitry Peskov, in which the Russian figure "dismissed Britain as a 'small island' whose views can be ignored," reports Pink News. His speech featured a list of Britain's crowning achievements, including the Magna Carta, Parliament, women's suffrage and, seemingly to spite Peskov, the British production of the best-selling vodka in the world, Smirnoff.
"Whose example of tolerance…of people living together from every nation, every religion, young and old, straight and gay…whose example do they aspire to?" Cameron said.
Though his speech did not explicitly mention equal marriage as an accomplishment, his words do highlight the changing politics of Britain's political parties, even in the face of Tory opposition. In regard to the backlash against his support for marriage equality, Cameron said, "I don't regret it. Britain is a more equal and fairer country for having done it."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 21 min 36 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 35 min 59 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 56 min 29 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM