Op-ed: Demonizing David Kato to Further Antigay Sentiment
BY Advocate Contributors
November 11 2011 7:00 AM ET
Justice Joseph Mulangira of Uganda’s Mukono High Court has
sentenced Sidney Nsubuga Enoch, 22, the man they say confessed to the murder of
gay rights activist David Kato, to 30 years in prison.
Kato was a local and international gay rights activist. His face appeared as
one of the hundred ‘outed’ gay men by Uganda’s Rolling Stone tabloid along with the headline “100 Pictures of
Uganda’s top Homos.” Against all odds, Kato won his case in the Uganda courts,
against the paper’s publishers, where his face appeared next to a headline,
“Hang Them!” Months later, after declaring that he feared for his life, Kato
was brutally murdered in his home.
The Ugandan authorities arrested and convicted Nsubuga, but his story makes no
I see reason to believe the killer murdered Kato for being
gay. But rather than pursue a real motive, the prosecutor chose to believe the
story of a confessed killer who probably thought he would receive leniency —
and possibly become a hero — if he inserted into his story that Kato had made a
demand for homosexual sex.
The story advanced by the prosecutor at sentencing has done little more than
perpetuate the myth that gays are trying to recruit straight people into
homosexuality. It feeds into the lie that Ugandans — and in particular their
children — are in grave danger unless homosexuality is criminalized.
Whether one considers the sentence of 30 years light or not, the bottom line is
that a great hero, who may well have been murdered for his cause, has not only
yet to see justice, but has also had his memory tarnished.
While the police issued a statement saying that Kato’s killing was in no way
related to his campaign for gay rights, many of us believe this entire story to
be a cover up of the actual facts and events that led to his brutal murder.
What is of greatest concern to me is that the Ugandan government has failed to
render a version of the events that makes any sense. On the one hand, given the
context of antigay fervor in Uganda, the story implies that Kato’s
homosexuality had something to do with his death, yet it refuses to consider
that maybe it had nothing to do with sex and everything to do with a vendetta
against Kato for his activism.
This version is nothing more than an attempt to slander a
dead hero and detract from the truth about the murder.
The language used and description inserts a so-called "demand for
sex" as a concomitant leading to the murderer’s actions. Clearly the
murderer could have left the scene, and he did not.
My dear friend and brother David Kato will not be forgotten. David and I were
in regular communication for at least a year, as a source, a fellow activist
and a friend. If anyone knew David, he was not a man who would have demanded
sex from anyone.
Nothing will stop us from remembering the real David Kato, the fervent activist
who fought with courage while knowing his life was at great risk. David
Kato died for his cause.
NATHAN is a lawyer and human rights activist who is author of the GAY U.S.A. the Blog, which is
run in conjunction with GAY U.S.A. the Movie.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 15 min 39 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 20 min 49 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 38 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 17 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 24 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 47 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 56 min ago