Poll: Voters Least Concerned With Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
April 19 2012 2:39 PM ET
A new poll shows that marriage equality is the least important issue for voters in this upcoming presidential election, with the economy, jobs, and the budget deficit being the most important issues.
The Human Rights Campaign says that results from an April Pew Research Center poll show that support for LGBT rights is strengthening. The data also suggests that African-American and Latino support for gay rights is increasing.
“Americans care about job creation and providing for their families. This latest data reinforces the fact that supporting LGBT equality is not a divisive wedge issue, but rather just common sense,” HRC president Joe Solmonese said in a statement Thursday. “Fair-minded people are increasingly aware that extending rights, benefits, and protections to their LGBT neighbors strengthens the communities they live and work in. To suggest otherwise is a strategy that will fail with voters.”
The survey also shows that people who support environmental, health care, and education improvements favor Obama by double digits. He also has a majority of support from women, college graduates, blacks, Latinos, and lower income voters. Those who rank our relationship with Iran and reducing the federal budget as a high priority favor Romney by double digits. Romney is also leading among independent voters, whites, men, Protestants, and Catholics.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM