GOP Congresswoman: Bullying Laws Unconstitutional
BY Michelle Garcia
April 20 2012 2:41 PM ET
A Republican running for a U.S. Senate seat in New Mexico said that legislation that could protect LGBT students against bullying would criminalize children for teasing each other for having red hair or being too short.
Rep. Heather Wilson said at a candidate debate last week that the Student Non-Discrimination Act introduced by Sen. Al Franken would violate the First Amendment if enacted. SDNA would protect students against antigay bullying, just as all students are protected from bullying under the basis of race or gender. Wilson even mocked her own deep voice, sarcastically saying that she has "never" been made fun of for it.
"...[A]s parents we have to deal with [bullying] and strengthen our children to be comfortable with themselves and also to show empathy and acceptance towards others, but that particular act is so broad it would actually punish children and say that it’s prohibited to express an opinion with respect to homosexuality in the schools," she said. "I just think that’s wrong and it’s a violation of the First Amendment."
Wilson, who currently represents a Congressional District in New Mexico, scores a 5 out of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign's annual Congressional Scorecard. The organization is asking supporters to take action by expressing disappointment in her words through a petition on their website.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM