GOP Congresswoman: Bullying Laws Unconstitutional
BY Michelle Garcia
April 20 2012 3:41 PM ET
A Republican running for a U.S. Senate seat in New Mexico said that legislation that could protect LGBT students against bullying would criminalize children for teasing each other for having red hair or being too short.
Rep. Heather Wilson said at a candidate debate last week that the Student Non-Discrimination Act introduced by Sen. Al Franken would violate the First Amendment if enacted. SDNA would protect students against antigay bullying, just as all students are protected from bullying under the basis of race or gender. Wilson even mocked her own deep voice, sarcastically saying that she has "never" been made fun of for it.
"...[A]s parents we have to deal with [bullying] and strengthen our children to be comfortable with themselves and also to show empathy and acceptance towards others, but that particular act is so broad it would actually punish children and say that it’s prohibited to express an opinion with respect to homosexuality in the schools," she said. "I just think that’s wrong and it’s a violation of the First Amendment."
Wilson, who currently represents a Congressional District in New Mexico, scores a 5 out of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign's annual Congressional Scorecard. The organization is asking supporters to take action by expressing disappointment in her words through a petition on their website.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 32 min 4 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 48 min 24 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 1 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 45 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 57 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM