Romney's Potential Veeps: How Antigay Are They?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 17 2012 4:00 AM ET
Although normally voters decide based on the first name on a ticket, sometimes choosing the right running mate can make or break an entire presidential campaign. Just ask John McCain.
Now that Mitt Romney is the presumed Republican nominee, his team is carefully vetting its short list of running mates to determine which political figure voters will most want to see paired with the former Massachusetts governor. Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union has assembled a list of its own: possible running mates and their records on LGBT issues.
“Governor Romney’s pick might end up a heartbeat from the presidency, but they’ll be light years from civil liberties,” said Anthony D. Romero, executive director of the ACLU. “We hope Governor Romney flips his Etch-a-Sketch and picks someone who more strongly supports our constitutional values.”
Whoever is selected will debate Vice President Biden, who vocally supports marraige equality, in the fall.
We've added to the ACLU's research on the following pages. Check out the list.
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- WATCH: More Officials Like Kim Davis Would Be a Disaster
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball