Romney's Potential Veeps: How Antigay Are They?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 17 2012 3:00 AM ET
Although normally voters decide based on the first name on a ticket, sometimes choosing the right running mate can make or break an entire presidential campaign. Just ask John McCain.
Now that Mitt Romney is the presumed Republican nominee, his team is carefully vetting its short list of running mates to determine which political figure voters will most want to see paired with the former Massachusetts governor. Meanwhile, the American Civil Liberties Union has assembled a list of its own: possible running mates and their records on LGBT issues.
“Governor Romney’s pick might end up a heartbeat from the presidency, but they’ll be light years from civil liberties,” said Anthony D. Romero, executive director of the ACLU. “We hope Governor Romney flips his Etch-a-Sketch and picks someone who more strongly supports our constitutional values.”
Whoever is selected will debate Vice President Biden, who vocally supports marraige equality, in the fall.
We've added to the ACLU's research on the following pages. Check out the list.
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 18 min 4 sec ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM