New Campaign: 'Mitt Gets Worse'
BY Michelle Garcia
July 18 2012 3:17 PM ET
You've heard of the It Gets Better Campaign. Now it's time for Mitt Gets Worse.
The media watchdog American Bridge 21st Century and Courage Campaign, a progressive organization largely based in California, created a Super PAC to counter the large coffers on the political right. The PAC's first attack was on liberal's top target this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, for a campaign called Mitt Gets Worse.
The idea stems from Romney's changing positions on LGBT rights. In 1994, while campaigning against then-Senator Ted Kennedy, Romney said that he would be better for gay rights than Kennedy, a longtime ally and proponent of LGBT equality. And in 2002, Romney and his gubernatorial running mate Kerry Healy lobbied for LGBT supporters, and was endorsed by the Log Cabin Republicans. However, the Courage Campaign's project mentions how "Mitt got worse, radically changing his positions."
As Romney has become more prominent among Republicans, his LGBT support has shifted. As reported in The Advocate's primary guide earlier this year, Romney has said that two gay parents are not "ideal," compared to two opposite-sex parents, that he would create a three-tiered system of marriage to exclude gay couples from getting married in the future, and that the Employment Non-Discrimination Act would “open a litigation floodgate and unfairly penalize employers at the hands of activist judges.”
The campaign will include testimony from people like Family Equality Council executive director Jennifer Chrisler, who has a family with her wife and raised her children during Romney's governorship. "He will throw us to the side to get whatever he wants," she said.
Watch her video below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM