New Campaign: 'Mitt Gets Worse'
BY Michelle Garcia
July 18 2012 3:17 PM ET
You've heard of the It Gets Better Campaign. Now it's time for Mitt Gets Worse.
The media watchdog American Bridge 21st Century and Courage Campaign, a progressive organization largely based in California, created a Super PAC to counter the large coffers on the political right. The PAC's first attack was on liberal's top target this year, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, for a campaign called Mitt Gets Worse.
The idea stems from Romney's changing positions on LGBT rights. In 1994, while campaigning against then-Senator Ted Kennedy, Romney said that he would be better for gay rights than Kennedy, a longtime ally and proponent of LGBT equality. And in 2002, Romney and his gubernatorial running mate Kerry Healy lobbied for LGBT supporters, and was endorsed by the Log Cabin Republicans. However, the Courage Campaign's project mentions how "Mitt got worse, radically changing his positions."
As Romney has become more prominent among Republicans, his LGBT support has shifted. As reported in The Advocate's primary guide earlier this year, Romney has said that two gay parents are not "ideal," compared to two opposite-sex parents, that he would create a three-tiered system of marriage to exclude gay couples from getting married in the future, and that the Employment Non-Discrimination Act would “open a litigation floodgate and unfairly penalize employers at the hands of activist judges.”
The campaign will include testimony from people like Family Equality Council executive director Jennifer Chrisler, who has a family with her wife and raised her children during Romney's governorship. "He will throw us to the side to get whatever he wants," she said.
Watch her video below:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM