DNC Treasurer Shares What It's Like Growing Up Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 2:53 AM ET
Out treasurer for the Democratic National Committee Andrew Tobias in his speech said he was sticking to two familiar themes — "money and equality."
Tobias argued that the economy does better under Democrats, then he shared one of the more personal stories about an LGBT person to come from behind the podium so far.
"In college, I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked other guys," he said, according to his prepared remarks. "Later I found there was someone else like me, our 26-year-old resident tutor. He and I never talked about it at the time. No one talked about being gay back then. People killed themselves over being gay. Tragically, some kids still do. But, the progress we have made. Eight weeks ago, I attended that young tutor's wedding! To a guy!"
Watch complete video of the speech below via CSPAN.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Reality Special My Husband’s Not Gay: Deep in Denial?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Op-ed: Trans Glamour Versus Trans Activism
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment