DNC Treasurer Shares What It's Like Growing Up Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 3:53 AM ET
Out treasurer for the Democratic National Committee Andrew Tobias in his speech said he was sticking to two familiar themes — "money and equality."
Tobias argued that the economy does better under Democrats, then he shared one of the more personal stories about an LGBT person to come from behind the podium so far.
"In college, I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked other guys," he said, according to his prepared remarks. "Later I found there was someone else like me, our 26-year-old resident tutor. He and I never talked about it at the time. No one talked about being gay back then. People killed themselves over being gay. Tragically, some kids still do. But, the progress we have made. Eight weeks ago, I attended that young tutor's wedding! To a guy!"
Watch complete video of the speech below via CSPAN.
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend