DNC Treasurer Shares What It's Like Growing Up Gay
BY Lucas Grindley
September 05 2012 2:53 AM ET
Out treasurer for the Democratic National Committee Andrew Tobias in his speech said he was sticking to two familiar themes — "money and equality."
Tobias argued that the economy does better under Democrats, then he shared one of the more personal stories about an LGBT person to come from behind the podium so far.
"In college, I thought I was the only guy in the world who liked other guys," he said, according to his prepared remarks. "Later I found there was someone else like me, our 26-year-old resident tutor. He and I never talked about it at the time. No one talked about being gay back then. People killed themselves over being gay. Tragically, some kids still do. But, the progress we have made. Eight weeks ago, I attended that young tutor's wedding! To a guy!"
Watch complete video of the speech below via CSPAN.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' 24 min 10 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 25 min 9 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 51 min 58 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 14 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 2 hours 16 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 2 hours 17 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 11:29 AM