Barney Frank Says Romney's Talk Cheapens Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
April 26 2012 7:00 PM ET
Congressman Barney Frank says Mitt Romney's way of talking about same-sex marriages is cheapening them, and he also took Romney to task for once claiming he was better on LGBT issues than Sen. Edward Kennedy.
Frank, speaking to the Washington Blade Tuesday night, said Romney has become too willing to change positions to appease Republican voters, especially after attempting to garner gay votes during his 1994 Senate run in Massachusetts against the late Senator Kennedy. Frank pointed out that Romney had told supporters in February that he “fought hard and prevented Massachusetts from becoming the Las Vegas of gay marriage.”
Frank, who is retiring and planning to marry his partner before the end of the year, said Romney's words trivialized all same-sex marriages.
“That’s saying our marriages were a trick, were a sham,” Frank said. ”He’s clearly prepared to embrace the most — oh, and supporting a constitutional amendment. What that says is that existing marriages are abolished. That’s just outrageous.”
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 18 min 30 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 18 min 41 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 24 min 22 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 38 min 44 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 6 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 27 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 30 min ago