Chris Hughes Goes Big in Donation to Marriage Fight in Maine
BY Lucas Grindley
May 14 2012 1:41 PM ET
Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes, who was criticized for not donating to fight Amendment One in North Carolina, has pledged $100,000 in Maine.
Hughes and his fiancé, Sean Eldridge, who is a senior adviser for Freedom to Marry, are offering it as a matching gift, which means other, small donors will have to step up during the next four weeks if the full amount is to be paid.
"They’re offering this gift now because they believe Maine is well positioned to win marriage this November," announced Mainers United for Marriage, "and because they know early investment in the campaign is crucial to victory."
Hughes, a North Carolinian who recently bought The New Republic, had campaigned against adding Amendment One to the ballot in his home state. But when lawmakers disregarded him and others, Hughes didn't follow up with a donation to fight it at the ballot box. And that made him the object of frustration.
“It’s disappointing that he’s given up when, with polls the closest in history and an outpouring of support today online from people who work hard to make ends meet, he couldn’t be bothered to give,” said Adam Bink, director of online programs for the Courage Campaign, in the Washington Blade ahead of the vote.
In the end, North Carolina ended up voting overwhelmingly in favor of Amendment One. Maine is facing a different sort of fight at the ballot box, where activists are attempting to repeal an earlier ban.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 2 hours 26 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM