Chris Hughes Goes Big in Donation to Marriage Fight in Maine
BY Lucas Grindley
May 14 2012 1:41 PM ET
Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes, who was criticized for not donating to fight Amendment One in North Carolina, has pledged $100,000 in Maine.
Hughes and his fiancé, Sean Eldridge, who is a senior adviser for Freedom to Marry, are offering it as a matching gift, which means other, small donors will have to step up during the next four weeks if the full amount is to be paid.
"They’re offering this gift now because they believe Maine is well positioned to win marriage this November," announced Mainers United for Marriage, "and because they know early investment in the campaign is crucial to victory."
Hughes, a North Carolinian who recently bought The New Republic, had campaigned against adding Amendment One to the ballot in his home state. But when lawmakers disregarded him and others, Hughes didn't follow up with a donation to fight it at the ballot box. And that made him the object of frustration.
“It’s disappointing that he’s given up when, with polls the closest in history and an outpouring of support today online from people who work hard to make ends meet, he couldn’t be bothered to give,” said Adam Bink, director of online programs for the Courage Campaign, in the Washington Blade ahead of the vote.
In the end, North Carolina ended up voting overwhelmingly in favor of Amendment One. Maine is facing a different sort of fight at the ballot box, where activists are attempting to repeal an earlier ban.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 min 19 sec ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 25 min 45 sec ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 40 min 9 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel WATCH: Flash Mob Gay Marriage Proposal in Central Park 51 min 38 sec ago
- Women Cannes is Abuzz About Blue is the Warmest Color's Explicit Lesbian Sex Scenes 1 hour 13 min ago
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 1 hour 40 min ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 2 hours 36 min ago