Chris Hughes Goes Big in Donation to Marriage Fight in Maine
BY Lucas Grindley
May 14 2012 1:41 PM ET
Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes, who was criticized for not donating to fight Amendment One in North Carolina, has pledged $100,000 in Maine.
Hughes and his fiancé, Sean Eldridge, who is a senior adviser for Freedom to Marry, are offering it as a matching gift, which means other, small donors will have to step up during the next four weeks if the full amount is to be paid.
"They’re offering this gift now because they believe Maine is well positioned to win marriage this November," announced Mainers United for Marriage, "and because they know early investment in the campaign is crucial to victory."
Hughes, a North Carolinian who recently bought The New Republic, had campaigned against adding Amendment One to the ballot in his home state. But when lawmakers disregarded him and others, Hughes didn't follow up with a donation to fight it at the ballot box. And that made him the object of frustration.
“It’s disappointing that he’s given up when, with polls the closest in history and an outpouring of support today online from people who work hard to make ends meet, he couldn’t be bothered to give,” said Adam Bink, director of online programs for the Courage Campaign, in the Washington Blade ahead of the vote.
In the end, North Carolina ended up voting overwhelmingly in favor of Amendment One. Maine is facing a different sort of fight at the ballot box, where activists are attempting to repeal an earlier ban.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 14 min 53 sec ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 18 min 16 sec ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 43 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 38 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 2 hours 55 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 5:00 PM
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 4:09 PM