Couple Told Changing Their Last Names Not OK If They're Gay-Married
BY Lucas Grindley
June 21 2012 7:21 PM ET
When Stephen Hill and Joshua Snyder went to the courthouse to officially hyphenate their last names together, they ended up pulled aside in a room with the magistrate.
The Columbus, Ohio, couple were celebrating their one-year anniversary after having been married in Washington, D.C.
Snyder says "it was kind of humiliating" to expect a name change would be no big deal and have it turn out so differently. "They basically told us to lie. They didn't use the word 'lie,' but they basically said if you use the word 'marriage,' it will get denied."
But Hill refused to lie any longer, having served in the military for two decades under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. And so the couple filed their request to change their last names with marriage clearly labeled as their reason.
A news report about the couple's request for a name change added to the anticipation for today's hearing. A judge heard their request today but opted not to issue a decision, instead promising to mail it to them. Changing a last name in Ohio would require a 10-page application, printing their names in the newspaper, $138 each, and then an appearance before the judge who normally renders a verdict on whether to let the name change go forward.
Some might remember Hill as the soldier booed by an audience during a Republican presidential debate for asking whether the candidates would try to reinstate "don't ask, don't tell." And he and his husband are also part of a lawsuit from the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network that is seeking to get the Defense of Marriage Act ruled unconstitutional.
Watch the news report on the couple and their request.
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Ugandan Parliament Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill
- Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
- The Best Christmas Memes Are on George Takei's Facebook Page
- How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise?
- Comedy How Gay is Duck Dynasty Merchandise? 2 min 51 sec ago
- World News Third Russian Convicted Under 'Gay Propaganda' Law 39 min 25 sec ago
- Women WATCH: A Tux-Clad Ellen DeGeneres Dances in the Streets for 1st Oscars Promo! 1 hour 20 min ago
- Television The Top 10 Greatest Gay Holiday Cartoons 1 hour 32 min ago
- Media Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade UPDATED: 1 hour 42 min ago
- World News Uganda Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill 2 hours 13 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star 2 hours 55 min ago