Gay Couple Arrested in Texas Marriage Protest
BY Julie Bolcer
July 06 2012 9:41 AM ET
A gay couple was arrested Thursday in Dallas for refusing to leave the county clerk’s office after being denied a marriage license under Texas law.
Mark Jiminez and Beau Chandler entered the county records building in the afternoon and filled out paperwork. Chandler crossed out the word “bride” and wrote “not applicable,” according to the Dallas Voice. Friends, media members, and some supportive officials including police officers accompanied them.
The men, who are engaged, handcuffed themselves together and sat on the floor after being denied the license. The building was shut down and they were arrested.
“It was unclear at press time what charge would be filed against the couple,” the Voice reported. "Last week, a sheriff’s spokesman indicated the pair likely would be charged with criminal trespass, a class-B misdemeanor. The penalty for that is up to 180 days in jail and a maximum $2,000 fine.”
A constitutional amendment approved by Texas voters in 2005 bans same-sex marriages, but marriage equality advocates argue that language in Subsection B of the measure effectively invalidates all marriages. The section says, "This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."
Watch the video of the protest.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM