Gay Couple Arrested in Texas Marriage Protest
BY Julie Bolcer
July 06 2012 8:41 AM ET
A gay couple was arrested Thursday in Dallas for refusing to leave the county clerk’s office after being denied a marriage license under Texas law.
Mark Jiminez and Beau Chandler entered the county records building in the afternoon and filled out paperwork. Chandler crossed out the word “bride” and wrote “not applicable,” according to the Dallas Voice. Friends, media members, and some supportive officials including police officers accompanied them.
The men, who are engaged, handcuffed themselves together and sat on the floor after being denied the license. The building was shut down and they were arrested.
“It was unclear at press time what charge would be filed against the couple,” the Voice reported. "Last week, a sheriff’s spokesman indicated the pair likely would be charged with criminal trespass, a class-B misdemeanor. The penalty for that is up to 180 days in jail and a maximum $2,000 fine.”
A constitutional amendment approved by Texas voters in 2005 bans same-sex marriages, but marriage equality advocates argue that language in Subsection B of the measure effectively invalidates all marriages. The section says, "This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."
Watch the video of the protest.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 1 hour 23 min ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 2 hours 15 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 2 hours 22 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM