Tony Blair Supports Marriage Equality in New Interview
BY Lucas Grindley
July 24 2012 3:44 PM ET
Former prime minister Tony Blair says he is for marriage equality, making his support known as the United Kingdom debates whether to change its laws.
Blair had first made clear that he backs marriage equality in March when The Independent reported that his friends say the Catholic had broken with the pope on the issue. Now in an interview with Charles Moore in The Telegraph, Blair is speaking for himself.
Blair said he supports same-sex marriage even though he "accepts the doctrine of the Catholic Church."
"I’m not a doctrinal ideologue," said Blair, who is one of the country's most prominent converts to Catholicism.
Blair said the extremists on the religious right who get so much media attention are distractions on many issues, though he said "I understand why people take a different view" on same-sex marriage.
Blair is promoting a public debate today about faith hosted by his group, the Tony Blair Faith Foundation. Moore, Blair and Rowan Williams were panelists. Video of their discussion has not yet been posted to see whether Blair further elaborated on marriage equality.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 1 hour 13 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 2 hours 14 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 2 hours 39 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM