Outdoor Retailer REI Supports Marriage Equality
BY Lauren Jow
August 13 2012 7:35 PM ET
Outdoor retailer REI has thrown its support behind marriage equality, according to a press release from Washington United for Marriage, a coalition working to defend the state’s same-sex marriage law.
CEO and President Sally Jewell announced the endorsement today in a blog post to the corporation’s 11,000 employees. REI has made Fortune’s list of 100 Best Companies to Work For every year since the list was created in 1998.
“Marriage equality is important to the co-op because the benefits, legal clarity and societal understanding that Warren and I have enjoyed these past 34 years should be available to any two people who want to express their love and make a permanent commitment to each other that is so clearly provided for in the legal definition of marriage,” Jewell wrote in the blog post.
The Washington-based corporation joins the ranks of other leading business including Nike, Starbucks, Amazon, Google and Microsoft who have announced their support of Referendum 74, an initiative that would uphold the state’s same-sex marriage law if voters approve it in November.
Washington legalized same-sex marriage in February, and the law was set to take effect in early June. Just a day before, opponents turned in enough signatures to qualify Referendum 74 for the ballot.
Washington United for Marriage has raised more than $5 million to campaign to approve the referendum, while same-sex marriage opponent Preserve Marriage Washington has only raised more than $253,000.
“Sixteen years from now, when I expect to be celebrating my 50th wedding anniversary, I sincerely hope that there will be millions more of a new generation for whom 50 years of marriage will become a possibility through these changes in our legal system,” Jewell wrote in the blog post.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Latest News
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM