Supreme Court Still Mum on Prop. 8 Case
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2012 12:09 PM ET
The U.S. Supreme Court has not yet listed the case challenging California's ban on marriage equality on its Fall docket, which was released Tuesday.
Adam Umhoefer, the executive director of Americans for Equal Rights, explained in a message to supporters Tuesday that the justices are scheduled to release which cases they will not hear on Monday Oct. 1.
If the Supreme Court does not hear Perry v. Brown, a February 2012 decision finding Proposition 8 unconstitutional will be upheld, permanently invalidating Proposition 8, allowing same-sex couples to marry in California. If the court will hear the case, AFER's star attorneys David Boies and Ted Olson, will argue on behalf of the California couples suing to invalidate Proposition 8.
"Some have speculated that the Supreme Court may wait to consider our case until later this fall when the Justices will decide whether to grant review in several cases challenging the so-called Defense of Marriage Act," Umhoefer said in the message to AFER supporters.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 46 min 55 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 55 min 6 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 58 min 43 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 1 hour 13 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 2 hours 21 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM