Supreme Court Still Mum on Prop. 8 Case
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2012 12:09 PM ET
The U.S. Supreme Court has not yet listed the case challenging California's ban on marriage equality on its Fall docket, which was released Tuesday.
Adam Umhoefer, the executive director of Americans for Equal Rights, explained in a message to supporters Tuesday that the justices are scheduled to release which cases they will not hear on Monday Oct. 1.
If the Supreme Court does not hear Perry v. Brown, a February 2012 decision finding Proposition 8 unconstitutional will be upheld, permanently invalidating Proposition 8, allowing same-sex couples to marry in California. If the court will hear the case, AFER's star attorneys David Boies and Ted Olson, will argue on behalf of the California couples suing to invalidate Proposition 8.
"Some have speculated that the Supreme Court may wait to consider our case until later this fall when the Justices will decide whether to grant review in several cases challenging the so-called Defense of Marriage Act," Umhoefer said in the message to AFER supporters.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- 3 Big Differences: Boy Scouts Versus Girl Scouts
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM