Paris Politician Says Marriage Equality Leads to Incest
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 04 2012 3:01 PM ET
Francois Lebel, a Parisian mayor (the equivalent of an American city council member), has announced that does not support France's move toward marriage equality and he will refuse to preside over same-sex weddings because they will lead to legal incest and polygamy. According to AFP/Google News, Lebel "has been widely condemned for his comments by politicians across the political spectrum," including his own political party, the UMP. Some say that Lebel, however, reflects a "grassroots revolt" against marriage equality.
Lebel wrote an editorial in a Paris newspaper saying same-sex marriage sets a dangerous precedent: "Why then would the legal age for marriage be maintained? And why forbid marriage between close relations, paedophilia [sic] or incest which are all still common currency in the world."
According to AFP, polls say that about 66% of French voters back marriage equality. The news service reports that a group of mayors on the island of Corsica have announced they will refuse to carry out same-sex weddings and local council members in the Paris suburb of Le Chesnay "passed a motion calling for a referendum, an idea that seems to be gathering momentum."
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 15 min 57 sec ago
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 25 min 29 sec ago
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM