Mike Huckabee Tells Jon Stewart: No, Marriage Equality Voters Won't Go to Hell
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2012 1:14 PM ET
Mike Huckabee told Jon Stewart he never meant to imply you're going to hell if you vote for marriage equality. So that's good?
But during a challenging interview on The Daily Show, Huckabee also couldn't articulate whatever it was his election season advertisement about "eternity" was meant to imply.
The ad said "some issues are not negotiable" and that "marriage should be reinforced not redefined." Then it warned that "your vote will affect the future and be recorded in eternity." Voters in three states approved marriage equality laws in November — Washington, Maryland, and Maine — and Minnesotans refused to add a ban to their state's constitution.
Stewart was incredulous. "Are you saying that if you vote for the Democrats, you are going to hell?"
Huckabee repeatedly swore that wasn't his intended message. Instead, he said Christians would understand what he meant and offered this explanation:
"The point of all of this is it is a message to Christian believers saying to them that your vote can't be separated from your faith and all of our works are going to be tested as if by fire."
Stewart managed to get in a few lines defending gays and lesbians from the man who created Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.
Watch the video below, and then watch the ad in question to decide for yourself.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 1 hour 20 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM