Marriage Equality Advocates Rally in Illinois, Look to Next Legislative Session
BY Trudy Ring
January 07 2013 4:24 PM ET
Marriage equality supporters rallied in Chicago over the weekend, looking to the upcoming Illinois legislative session for action on the issue.
More than 100 people gathered Saturday at the James R. Thompson Center, a state government building in downtown Chicago, with signs bearing such slogans as “Opposition to Legal Equality Is Bigotry” and “Call Your Legislators for Marriage Equality,” Windy City Times reports.
Several speakers addressed the crowd on the need for marriage equality. Boyd and Beth Bellinger, a lesbian couple and parents of two, told of people questioning the legitimacy of their union. “We also want our marriage to be legitimate and legal for the sake of our children,” Boyd said.
A marriage equality bill stalled last week in the legislature. It was approved by a state Senate committee, but supporters said there was not enough time to get it through the full Senate and House before the current legislative session ends tomorrow. A new legislature will be sworn in Wednesday, and the bill will have to be reintroduced. A vote may take place as early as February, the Associated Press reports. Advocates are optimistic, saying there is more support for the bill in the new group of lawmakers than in the outgoing legislature.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM