Senators Donnelly, Heitkamp Endorse Marriage Equality
BY Trudy Ring
April 05 2013 10:20 AM ET
Two more Democratic U.S. senators have come out for marriage equality today: Joe Donnelly of Indiana and Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota.
Donnelly, who voted against marriage equality when he was in the House of Representatives, said the cases heard by the Supreme Court last week made him change his mind, USA Today reports. “I have concluded that the right thing to do is to support marriage equality for all,” he said in a Facebook post.
Heitkamp also posted her change of heart on Facebook, saying, “I have concluded the federal government should no longer discriminate against people who want to make lifelong, loving commitments to each other or interfere in personal, private, and intimate relationships. “I view the ability to marry as a logical extension of this belief. The makeup of families is changing, but the importance of family is enduring.”
The activist group MoveOn.org noted that a constituent had used its petition platform to urge Heitkamp to change her position, and similar petitions are calling for the same move by the four remaining Democratic senators who have yet to come out for equal marriage rights: Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Tim Johnson of South Dakota, and Joe Manchin of West Virginia.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 33 min 20 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 56 min 12 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 3 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 11 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 14 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 22 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 9 min ago