Kristen Bell Reacts to the Supreme Court Decision With a Proposal
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 26 2013 12:49 PM ET
After spending years saying that they wouldn't marry until there was full marriage equality, Veronica Mars star Kristen Bell and her partner, Parenthood star Dax Shepard, have been seen as some of Hollywood's staunchest marriage equality allies.
In 2012, Bell told The Advocate's Brandon Voss, "Yeah, I get a ton of questions about when Dax and I are getting married. I usually blow them off because it’s nobody’s business. To be honest with you — and this is the first time I’ve ever said this to a journalist, but it feels like the perfect time and place — the reason we’re not rushing to get married is because I don’t feel appropriate taking advantage of a right that’s denied to my best friends. That’s why we’ve been so hesitant. Dax and I have talked about it a lot, and this issue is very important to both of us. We’re just standing up for what we believe in. Period. Listen, we’re on your side. I recently tweeted about this embarrassing poster that shows how many states where you can marry your same-sex significant other and how many more states where you can marry your cousin. It’s fucking ridiculous."
She also did a Human Rights Campaign video for Americans for Equality, in which she said, “It breaks my heart that millions of gay Americans can’t marry the one they love.”
But,after today's Supreme Court rulings striking down both Proposition 8 and part of the Defense of Marriage Act, Bell tweeted Shepard a very short proposal. Can we answer for him?
— Kristen Bell (@IMKristenBell) June 26, 2013
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 2 hours 43 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 47 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM