Countering Hate With Love: Same-Sex Wedding Across From Westboro
BY Trudy Ring
June 23 2013 2:09 PM ET
The Equality House, the rainbow-colored house across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., hosted its first same-sex wedding Saturday.
Kimberly Kidwell and Katie Short of Little Rock, Ark., celebrated their love and commitment on the house’s front lawn. A lesbian minister officiated, and about 100 friends, family members, and other supporters attended. Several local businesses and organizations donated goods and services for the wedding.
The nonprofit organization Planting Peace bought the house across from the infamous antigay church last year and had it painted in rainbow colors earlier this year. Its presence is meant to counter Westboro’s hateful message.
Westboro put up a few protest signs on its property, but “the brides hardly noticed,” The Huffington Post reports. “I guess I was almost numb after seeing them for a minute,” Kidwell told HuffPo. “I knew the signs would be there, and I wasn’t even angry about it. We were just so ecstatic to be getting married.”
While neither Arkansas nor Kansas recognizes same-sex marriages, Planting Peace founder Aaron Jackson said Kidwell and Short’s wedding was an important symbolic moment as the Supreme Court prepares to rule in two cases involving marriage equality. It will be the first of many such ceremonies Equality House will host, he said.
Watch a wedding video below, and see more about the ceremony and the couple on Equality House’s Facebook page.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 51 min 55 sec ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 1 hour 22 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 2 hours 18 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM