Son of Late S.F. Mayor Moscone Marries Partner
BY Jase Peeples
November 12 2013 2:27 PM ET
Jonathan Moscone, son of the San Francisco mayor George Moscone — who was assassinated in 1978 along with gay city supervisor Harvey Milk — has married his partner, Darryl Carbonaro, reports the San Francisco Chronicle.
The marriage took place Friday at San Francisco’s City Hall, the place where Moscone’s father was slain 35 years ago. Former mayor Willie Brown officiated, with about 80 guests in attendance, as the couple spoke their vows in the mayor’s balcony, where a bust of Mayor Moscone now stands.
Jonathan Moscone, artistic director of the California Shakespeare Theater in Berkeley, says he proposed to Carbonaro in January at the bar of the NoMad Hotel in New York. "Darryl is beautifully attractive, extremely articulate, and well educated and funny," Moscone told the Chronicle. "He never thought I was too intense or too odd. I make total sense to him. That's how I knew — and knew within two hours. Everything I said made him smile. I could be myself with him."
The couple planned the wedding together, and they each wrote their own vows, which were shared for the first time during the ceremony. However, the wedding’s location was of the utmost importance to Moscone, who said he felt it was "significant" the ceremony take place where the bust of his father stands. "I now feel more cognizant of the connection between my father and the city and its history," he told the Chronicle. "Sometimes it's hard to live inside all of that. But it's also why I love working and living here. It feels right."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM