Conservatives Outraged By MSNBC Mom Talking to Daughter About Gay Marriage
BY Lucas Grindley
April 06 2013 3:53 PM ET
Conservatives are outraged by an MSNBC host who talked with her daughter in an online segment about whether it's OK if gays and lesbians marry the people they love.
Krystal Ball is co-host of MSNBC's The Cycle, and the conversation with her daughter stuck to the basics of who is legally allowed to marry who in their home state of New York. It could be similar to how parents in that state have explained life in New York state.
Glenn Beck's website, The Blaze, labeled the moment "Cringe-Inducing." The headline on conservative blog, "Liberty Unyielding," claimed, "MSNBC’s Krystal Ball exploits own 5-year-old daughter on TV to promote gay marriage."
Writing for conservative firebrand Michelle Malkin's website, Doug Powers called Ball's questions a form of child abuse. "Flip the subject being pushed on the little girl to something like pro-life values and MSNBC would be reporting it as child abuse," Powers wrote. "I’ll say this much: At least in this example it’s her own kid instead of a room full of other people’s children."
Exactly what's appropriate for conversation between a parent and child came up recently for conservatives when Ronald Reagan's daughter, Patti Davis, said her father explained to her when she was "very young" that "some men are born wanting to love another man."
Watch the segment for yourself below.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM