WATCH: Howard Kurtz on His Erroneous Jason Collins Column
BY Trudy Ring
May 05 2013 1:04 PM ET
Commentator Howard Kurtz spent a segment of his Reliable Sources program on CNN this morning apologizing for his erroneous column about Jason Collin’s coming-out.
Kurtz, whose Daily Beast column last week criticized Collins for not revealing that he had been engaged to a woman — when, in fact, Collins had revealed that in his coming-out piece for Sports Illustrated — said he made a “sloppy and inexcusable” mistake.
“My logic about what happened between Jason Collins and his former fiancée and what was and wasn’t disclosed, in hindsight, well, I was wrong to even raise that issue,” Kurtz said. “Also, I didn’t give him a chance to respond to my account before I wrote it and in addition my first correction was not as complete and as full as it should have been. In a video where I discussed the issue, I wrongly jokingly referred to something I shouldn’t have joked about” — saying Collins was playing “both sides of the court.”
Kurtz’s gig at Newsweek and The Daily Beast ended after the column came out, but he said it wasn’t the precipitating event and that his departure had been planned for a long time. He also took questions from two media critics, NPR’s David Folkenflik and Politico’s Dylan Byers, on today’s show.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Marriage Equality Good for New Mexico Kids, Experts Say
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 17 min 31 sec ago
- Latest News India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban 1 hour 11 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 1 hour 14 min ago
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 2 hours 34 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM