One Direction's Payne Supports 'Family Values' of Duck Member
BY Neal Broverman
January 18 2014 11:00 PM ET UPDATED: January 19 2014 5:36 PM ET
Liam Payne, a member of the British boy band One Direction, is a big fan of Duck Dynasty member Willie Robertson and his "family values."
Payne is one of the most popular members of One Direction, which has no shortage of gay fans. On Saturday, Payne sent a tweet, now deleted, to Willie Robertson declaring, "huge love to you/your family huge respect for your business prosperities and the family values you all still behold. big fan."
Willie's father, Phil Robertson famously told GQ that gay people were illogical "sinners" and as bad as terrorists. The cash cow he is, A&E kept him employed on the Duck Dynasty "reality" show, though the ratings are starting to tank.
People weren't pleased with Payne's proclamation. He responded with the following tweet:
Being a fan of someones show and the way they still hold a family together doesnt mean i am ok with all they say.
— Liam Payne (@Real_Liam_Payne) January 18, 2014
This news comes the same day the star of another "reality" show, The Bachelor's Juan Pablo Galavis, apologized after saying gays were too perverted to be good parents or appear on a televised dating contest. AND a day after news broke that View co-host Sherri Shepard announced she's not cool with the gay lifestyle, or whatever that means.
UPDATE: Payne lashed out at journalists on Twitter in response to the spread of stories about his "family values" tweet, arguing that he's the victim of bad reporting. Payne says he's just "a fan" of Duck Dynasty who "can't do anything without being judged." The Mirror and others report that his sister, Ruth, says Liam told her he didn't know anything about Duck Dynasty's homophobic roots, and he "just needs a break." Here's the succession of tweets:
"Oh my god can someone literally not be a fan if a show without bring labeled WTf I bought dinner the other day it made a news story"
"What I gotta do to please you bastards I'm a 20 year old just living life as you did when u where twenty but in extraordinary circumstances"
"I can't do anything without being judged u try that and write about it"
"And I know I'm playing into your hands writing these tweets but I'm sick of stupid stories it's time you all grow up"
"And write about things that actually matter not what im gunna have for dinner tomorrow or who I'm a fan if real stories"
"I just watched a show and I liked it as most people do stop sitting in my twitter and do your research #lazyjournos"
"All those tweets are aimed at journalists and bloggers not fans"
"Sick of all this bull il be back again when the freedom of speech law is back and people don't believe to much into the bulls#!t they read"
"Can't wait for the call tomorrow where I get told of for cussing had to be said like I said before much worse has happened In the world"
"Pick ur balls up off the floor and get on with it instead of taking advantage of every word said and twisting it for your own gain"
Ed. note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly indicated Payne tweeted Phil Robertson, not Willie
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 28 min 12 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 6 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 23 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 41 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 43 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM