Michigan Politician: Being Gay Is a Choice
BY Neal Broverman
October 08 2012 6:56 PM ET
Michigan state representative Tom McMillin says that being gay is a choice for those "who have come out the lifestyle."
McMillin, a Republican who previously compared being gay to smoking cigarettes, was confronted as a recent town hall meeting by gay constituent Bruce Fealk. When Fealk asked whether he still believed being gay is a choice, McMillin responded by saying, "Well, I think that the thousands of people that have been in that lifestyle and come out would say that it was their choice when they were in and came out of the lifestyle."
McMillin represents the Rochester Hills area, north of Detroit. Watch the video below.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 1 hour 49 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 2 hours 50 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM