Illinois Treasurer: A Rare GOP Gay Rights Supporter
BY Trudy Ring
October 29 2012 5:01 PM ET
Republican politicians who support LGBT rights are relatively rare, and the party’s national platform is certainly not LGBT-friendly. But one of those rare GOP officeholders is Dan Rutherford, Illinois state treasurer and state chairman for Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign.
Chicago Sun-Times columnist Laura Washington followed Rutherford to a recent fund-raising event for gay-friendly candidates sponsored by the political action committee of LGBT rights group Equality Illinois. “The mere fact that Rutherford showed up there will fry the right,” she wrote.
A state legislator for 18 years before becoming treasurer, Rutherford was the only Republican state senator to vote for the 2010 bill that established civil unions in Illinois. He also voted four times for a bill outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation; it finally passed in 2005. He draws the line, however, at support for marriage equality.
At the event, he told Equality Illinois leaders, “I respect that we can have engaging discussion, and we won’t agree on everything. But that said, the preponderance of what I believe that your association stands for, I do too.”
Rutherford is up for reelection as treasurer and is expected to seek the Republican gubernatorial nomination in 2014.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM