Marco Rubio: Immigration Reform Shouldn't Include Gay Couples
BY Trudy Ring
June 13 2013 2:47 PM ET
Sen. Marco Rubio has reiterated that he won’t support an immigration reform bill that includes rights for same-sex couples, and he predicts such a provision will kill the bill.
“If this bill has in it something that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill,” the Florida Republican told conservative radio host Andrea Tantaros on her show today. “I’m gone, I’m off it, and I’ve said that repeatedly. And I don’t think that’s going to happen, and it shouldn’t happen. This is already a difficult enough issue as it is.”
Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont Tuesday introduced an amendment to the comprehensive immigration reform bill that would allow citizens to sponsor foreign same-sex spouses for permanent residency in the U.S., just as citizens with opposite-sex foreign spouses can now. Leahy, a Democrat, had withdrawn the amendment last month “with a heavy heart,” as he put it, but he decided to try again.
Rubio, a rising star in the Republican Party, also told Tantaros any immigration bill he would support must also provide for improved border security.
Listen to the interview here; Rubio comes on at about the 58-minute mark, and the remark about gay couples around the one-hour, five-minute mark.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 1 hour 41 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 2 hours 17 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM