Marco Rubio: Immigration Reform Shouldn't Include Gay Couples
BY Trudy Ring
June 13 2013 1:47 PM ET
Sen. Marco Rubio has reiterated that he won’t support an immigration reform bill that includes rights for same-sex couples, and he predicts such a provision will kill the bill.
“If this bill has in it something that gives gay couples immigration rights and so forth, it kills the bill,” the Florida Republican told conservative radio host Andrea Tantaros on her show today. “I’m gone, I’m off it, and I’ve said that repeatedly. And I don’t think that’s going to happen, and it shouldn’t happen. This is already a difficult enough issue as it is.”
Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont Tuesday introduced an amendment to the comprehensive immigration reform bill that would allow citizens to sponsor foreign same-sex spouses for permanent residency in the U.S., just as citizens with opposite-sex foreign spouses can now. Leahy, a Democrat, had withdrawn the amendment last month “with a heavy heart,” as he put it, but he decided to try again.
Rubio, a rising star in the Republican Party, also told Tantaros any immigration bill he would support must also provide for improved border security.
Listen to the interview here; Rubio comes on at about the 58-minute mark, and the remark about gay couples around the one-hour, five-minute mark.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM