Protest Could Get Contentious Outside Indiana Church
BY Lucas Grindley
June 09 2012 1:12 PM ET
It could be a contentious protest Sunday outside an Indiana church where the congregation was caught on video wildly cheering as a young child sings, "Ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
It's gay pride weekend in Indianapolis, which is about an hour away from the Greensburg church where the protest is planned. And protest organizers have alerted participants that the Westboro Baptist Church is in town and plans to show up at the Apostolic Truth Tabernacle.
Responses to the event on Facebook show more than 250 people who've said they'll be there, and another 200 who might come. That's a lot more than the 50 who the Indianapolis Star reports protested immediately after a video of the church's standing ovation went viral.
"I know the Bible's right, somebody's wrong," the child sings. "Romans 1 and 27, ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
"That's my boy!" someone yells from the pews.
The church has posted a response to the outrage on its website, claiming it doesn't teach hate.
"The Pastor and members of Apostolic Truth Tabernacle do not condone, teach, or practice hate of any person for any reason," it says. "We believe and hope that every person can find true Bible salvation and the mercy and grace of God in their lives. We are a strong advocate of the family unit according to the teachings and precepts found in the Holy Bible. We believe the Holy Bible is the Divinely-inspired Word of God and we will continue to uphold and preach that which is found in scripture."
Pastor Jeff Sangl has reportedly left town after he claimed to receive death threats.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM