Protest Could Get Contentious Outside Indiana Church
BY Lucas Grindley
June 09 2012 1:12 PM ET
It could be a contentious protest Sunday outside an Indiana church where the congregation was caught on video wildly cheering as a young child sings, "Ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
It's gay pride weekend in Indianapolis, which is about an hour away from the Greensburg church where the protest is planned. And protest organizers have alerted participants that the Westboro Baptist Church is in town and plans to show up at the Apostolic Truth Tabernacle.
Responses to the event on Facebook show more than 250 people who've said they'll be there, and another 200 who might come. That's a lot more than the 50 who the Indianapolis Star reports protested immediately after a video of the church's standing ovation went viral.
"I know the Bible's right, somebody's wrong," the child sings. "Romans 1 and 27, ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
"That's my boy!" someone yells from the pews.
The church has posted a response to the outrage on its website, claiming it doesn't teach hate.
"The Pastor and members of Apostolic Truth Tabernacle do not condone, teach, or practice hate of any person for any reason," it says. "We believe and hope that every person can find true Bible salvation and the mercy and grace of God in their lives. We are a strong advocate of the family unit according to the teachings and precepts found in the Holy Bible. We believe the Holy Bible is the Divinely-inspired Word of God and we will continue to uphold and preach that which is found in scripture."
Pastor Jeff Sangl has reportedly left town after he claimed to receive death threats.
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Music LISTEN: Lady Gaga's 'Brooklyn Nights' Leaked 4 min 16 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: He's Positive, I'm Not — How Do We Deal? 18 min 12 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: What Is a Serodiscordant Couple? 19 min 11 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 TV Stars Who Are HIV Activists 21 min 1 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Emmy Winner Leslie Jordan: 'I’m Too Young & Fancy to Pay for This Sex!' 46 min 40 sec ago
- Media Murdoch Urges Boycott of Pro-Equality Guinness 47 min 51 sec ago
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 1 hour 48 min ago