Protest Could Get Contentious Outside Indiana Church
BY Lucas Grindley
June 09 2012 12:12 PM ET
It could be a contentious protest Sunday outside an Indiana church where the congregation was caught on video wildly cheering as a young child sings, "Ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
It's gay pride weekend in Indianapolis, which is about an hour away from the Greensburg church where the protest is planned. And protest organizers have alerted participants that the Westboro Baptist Church is in town and plans to show up at the Apostolic Truth Tabernacle.
Responses to the event on Facebook show more than 250 people who've said they'll be there, and another 200 who might come. That's a lot more than the 50 who the Indianapolis Star reports protested immediately after a video of the church's standing ovation went viral.
"I know the Bible's right, somebody's wrong," the child sings. "Romans 1 and 27, ain't no homo going to make it to heaven."
"That's my boy!" someone yells from the pews.
The church has posted a response to the outrage on its website, claiming it doesn't teach hate.
"The Pastor and members of Apostolic Truth Tabernacle do not condone, teach, or practice hate of any person for any reason," it says. "We believe and hope that every person can find true Bible salvation and the mercy and grace of God in their lives. We are a strong advocate of the family unit according to the teachings and precepts found in the Holy Bible. We believe the Holy Bible is the Divinely-inspired Word of God and we will continue to uphold and preach that which is found in scripture."
Pastor Jeff Sangl has reportedly left town after he claimed to receive death threats.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 32 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM