Reasons for Pride: 16 Picks From Lambda Legal Honorees
BY Daniel Reynolds
June 25 2014 6:00 AM ET
Reason No. 14: Lambda Legal!
Jamie Gray Hyder (True Blood)
One thing that makes me proud to be part of LGBT and Lambda [Legal], specifically, is that there are many groups that support change for minority groups and those being attacked and human rights being attacked, but Lambda is important because it helps to enact real change. It helps change laws and to get down where it’s really important.
Reason 15: Out Public Figures!
Jason Collins (pictured left)
It’s cool to see more and more professional athletes, and more and more people in society, living their authentic life. … Just recently, I was in D.C. for Pride weekend, and a young man came up to me and said, because of my story, his mom finally accepted him for who he was. … When public figures come out, the conversation just isn’t in the LGBT community. It extends to society in general. It can help heal families. And that’s what it’s all about — it’s about your families. It’s about your loved ones.
Reason 16: The Ryan White Act!
U.S. Rep. Henry Waxman
I’ve had a very successful career in Congress. I’ve been responsible for a lot of legislation. I am very, very proud of the work I’ve done to combat HIV and AIDS. I held the very first hearing on the issue, which led to legislation known as the Ryan White Act. And I know that lives have been saved because of that.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- WATCH: Russian Army Sings 'Barbie Girl'
- Bryan Cranston: 'End This Silliness' of Opposing Marriage Equality
- Bobby Jindal: Louisiana's Antigay Marriage Bill Isn't About Discrimination