How the Health Care Law Offers an Ounce of Prevention
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 6:00 AM ET
If the Supreme Court doesn’t scrap President Obama’s landmark health care law, the effects for LGBT people are legion. On prevention alone, the HealthCare.gov website lists more than 80 types of free tests, immunizations, and other preventive measures.
But all that complexity boils down into one simple piece of advice.
“Go to the doctor,” emphasizes Kellan Baker, a health policy analyst with the Center for American Progress, which teamed up with the National Coalition for LGBT Health to write a 31-page report titled “What Health Care Reform Means for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Americans.” “A lot of LGBT people often don’t feel comfortable going to the doctor,” says Baker, a coauthor of the report. The medical profession has a checkered history with LGBT patients, but staying home is like staying in the closet, and Baker warns, “When you catch something later, it’s worse.”
LGBT people suffer higher rates of some cancers, often because of their disproportionate rate of smoking. Discrimination and other stresses put gay people at increased risk for mental health problems, which the new law also targets with screenings.
The Affordable Care Act established a task force whose job it is to grade new preventive procedures on their effectiveness. Anything getting an A or B becomes mandatory for insurers to cover without co-pay.
The government is mandating that preventive care be essentially free because it saves so much money in the long run. “Estimates are that investing $1 in prevention returns savings of $5.60 over time, and that’s part of the purpose of the Affordable Care Act,” Baker says, “to turn the sick care system into a health care system.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 4 min 12 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM